For the Love of Dogs/Vermont Dog Rescue and its partners have successfully found homes for more than 2,000 homeless dogs since 1981. Animals placed through VDR have been spayed or neutered, de-wormed, and immunized as is age appropriate.
Animals in our care generally range in age from puppies to seniors and come in various mixed breeds. Most dogs are currently in a shelter in the South and will be transported to Vermont upon adoption; refer to the bios on the Adoptable Dogs page if you're unsure about the location of the dogs. You must submit an application before meeting any of our dogs being fostered in Vermont.
Completing an adoption application offers you the opportunity to consider the various factors that influence your choice of dog: what dog will most closely match the environment you can provide; what dog will blend with your family; what will a typical day look like for your dog; how much exercise and attention can you provide; and various other considerations. Please note: Puppies have special needs and will only be placed in a home where they can be monitored often (they should not be left alone for more than 4 hours at a time). Please consider your time and space limitations before applying to adopt a puppy.
The minimum age for adopting a rescue through VDR is 24 years of age. The adoption fee is $400 and pays for all veterinary expenses and transport fees.
The procedure for adopting a dog through VDR is as follows:
- A prospective adopter should complete the Application below.
- A VDR volunteer will contact the veterinary reference and personal references provided on the application.
- The volunteer will then conduct an interview with the prospective adopter.
- If the adoption request is approved, the volunteer will work with the prospective adopter to match the request with a dog that best fits their circumstances. A home visit may be necessary to make sure all members of the family, including any other dogs and cats, are compatible.
- Once a match has been made, you will complete the Adoption Contract. By signing the contract, you commit to the dog you adopt as you would to any member of your family.
- The adoption fee is $400 and is required at the time of the adoption. This fee helps defray any costs incurred while the animal was in our care, including medical exams, spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm tests, medication, food, and transportation. Instructions for paying the adoption fee can be found with the Adoption Contract.
- Adopter is required to pick up their pet off transport at a mutually agreed-upon location. Please note that the pick-up location may be a 1-2 hour drive.
Before completing the Adoption Application, please watch the brief but informative video below by InsideOut Dog Training. It covers several things you should consider before adopting a rescue dog. Your answers to the questions on this application will reflect the thought you have put into making this commitment and will ensure that we find the best possible match for your family.
COMMITMENT FACTORS BEFORE YOU RESCUE OR ADOPT
After submitting your application, head to our Education & Resources page to learn more about preparing for your adopted rescue dog.